File management is the act of naming, storing, sorting and handling documents in a systematic way. With cloud file management this storing and sorting is done online instead of on your local computer, freeing up your local hard disk space and giving you the ability to access this data from wherever there is an internet connection. From documents, images, spreadsheets, audio files and more can all be stored in the cloud, also providing access from any device.
So one might ask, “If my data is stored in the cloud, is it safe?” That's a natural question that arises when bringing up the cloud. And the answer is yes, it is very safe. The reason for that safety is that all data uploaded on the cloud servers are encrypted the moment it is uploaded to the application. Employees of said company have logical access to the data, which means they can move it from one server to another and upgrade your services when called to but not having access or able to see what you have stored.
There are a number of file storage management applications out there all with different requirements, features, file storing capacity and accessibility. Below are 5 free cloud file management applications.
- Microsoft OneDrive
- Media Fire
- Google Drive
This list is in no particular order but they all have features and benefits that can be used for your needs.
Why should you move to cloud file management?
There are 5 main reasons why you should move to cloud file management for your daily operations. The five reasons are Cost-saving, Real-time information sharing, Easier to scale and improved customer service, Better security and improved productivity. If you want to learn more about why business are moving to cloud file management, check our article on the topic.
Now let’s look at the five(5) free cloud file management applications.
- Microsoft OneDrive
Microsoft OneDrive is a file hosting service and synchronization service brought to you by Microsoft. It is available for free once the person has a Microsoft account and offers support for Windows PC, Mac, and mobile phones.
OneDrive’s online cloud storage includes 5 GB for free and comes with capabilities like being able to access anywhere, easy file sharing, seamless collaboration and backup and protection. They also offer a personal Vault where more sensitive information is protected with an extra layer of security.
Other features include:
- Document Scanning - OneDrive offers a hand-held document scanner. You can convert your paper documents like receipts, invoices, notes etc into a PDF file by using the OneDrive mobile app.
- Online Photo Storage - OneDrive allows you to automatically backup your phone's photos and videos. Allowing you to privately share photos with friends and family.
- PC folder backup - PC folder backup automatically syncs your Desktop, documents and pictures folders to your OneDrive cloud storage.
iCloud securely stores your photos, videos, documents, music, apps, and more—and keeps them updated across all your devices. iCloud offers 5GB of free storage. On Apple devices, the iCloud service is built into the device and can be used at any time.
iCloud features include:
- iCloud Photos - Store photos and videos across all your Apple devices.
- iCloud Drive - Store your desktop documents and folders in iCloud.
- iCloud Tabs - Access webpages you have open on your Apple devices.
- iCloud Keychain - Keep your passwords, credit card information, and more up to date.
- Media Fire
MediaFire is a file hosting, cloud storage, and synchronization service. It provides an easy-to-use solution for managing digital information online as well as on the go.MediaFire provides 10GB free file storage and up to 4GB per file. It is compatible with Windows, apple and android devices. Also offering an Ad-free experience to employees.
MediaFire features include:
- Unlimited bandwidth & Downloads - Make sure your downloads are always available and fast.
- Easily share after uploading - Share folders and files immediately after being uploaded
- One-time Links - Share a file using a free One-Time Link and your recipient won’t be able to share the link with anyone else.
- Multiple uploads at once - Multiple uploads at once Upload hundreds or even thousands of files at once through any web browser.
IDrive is considered the next generation of cloud storage and offers a 10GB free storage. IceDrive provides a native operating system environment as if it was another harddrive on your machine. This gives you all of the features and feel of your native operating system - Edit, upload, delete, open - can all be achieved with ease.
They also offer intelligent cache control operations which also mean you do not need to wait for your cloud to sync, you can access your files as soon as you have installed the app.
IceDrive also offers a full featured web app to manage files. State of the art, clean and easy to use interface, advanced browser upload and document conversion.
IceDrive features include:
- Full featured portable app - Easily upload and download files and folders, stream your media with a built in media player, preview all popular document formats and view your images without needing to download.
- Icedrive for mobile & tablet - Stream your media, share with friends along with offering a full backup of your device.
- Google Drive
Google Drive is a free online data storage service provided by Google. The service syncs stored files, photos, and more across all the user's PCs, tablets, and mobile devices. It offers 15 GB of free space.
Google Drive also offers Cloud-native collaboration apps like Docs, sheets and slides, where a team can collaborate on a document in real-time.
Drive also integrates with and existing technologies like Microsoft office files
Google Drive features include:
- Apps and templates - Search dozens of apps and templates to you can edit photos and videos, view PDFs, sign important documents electronically,create lesson plans,. edit audio files, convert files and so much more.
- Share files with a custom link - You can create custom shares which gives different access levels to different users.
Storing files online is becoming even easier and before committing financially to any one of those applications you can try them out for free and see what they have to offer.